Sunday, July 15, 2012

New York Day 36: Teleprompter Reading!

Today was the first time we worked on a Sunday! And you know what else, yesterday was our first Saturday off! Lol, so no complaints! Yesterday was sooooo awesome and today was...interesting, lol! We reported to NBC at 8:30 in the a.m! While there, Ms. Reid gave us a script to read for our teleprompter reading later on.

I was excited at first, but once the pressures on, THE PRESSURE IS ON! Forget what I rehearsed, it was thrown out the window...for whatever reason! I really have to work on my speech. I was talking so fast! I don't have any problems implementing my personality into my live shots, my problem is how fast my speech get's! It's highly frustrating!!!!

So we get downstairs and get mic'd up! I like getting mic'd up...it makes me feel official! So we're starting our teleprompter reading and everyone's doing AMAZING! My turn pop's up and I stumble! Lol, I don't know why I began smacking my lips once I pause, but I did! Then (because I talk so fast) I kept stumbling over the words, BUT I kept going! I kept going! I had to, because that is rule #1 in news reading...DON'T STOP! So I was thankful that Smith (that's the camera guy who Ms. Battle introduced us to) said I did a good job and said that I did one of the best thing's to do is not stop, so I did a good job and followed one of the most important rules in journalism! Ok, so maybe I flushed out the compliment, lol, but he definitely said something around that nature!

So the biggest AMAZING thing that happened today was Destiny! Destiny did so good reading the teleprompter! I was so proud of her, WE were so proud of her! She's really coming into her own! She owned it! She gave a little personality and flavor, I loved it!

Afterwards, we did more broadcast writing. Did, I forget to mention that Ms. Battle brought her daughter, Clark, to work with her today?! We've been talking about her for a nice amount of time, so it was cool to meet her. She had personality, which I loved! I mean, look at her mom! They were too cute!

Later on in the night, I talked to my mom and I expressed to her how I never understood the reason why I've been given certain opportunities, or was able to meet certain people and thing's of that nature. But I remember Val Nicholas talking to us about networking and standing out and how, when someone invites you somewhere, you need to PARTICIPATE! BE PRESENT! Don't just sit there and take up space because you won't be invited again! You won't have that opportunity again! That said a lot to me. I have to stop acting like the charity case and be the trophy (I created that FYI!). I have to own my career! I'm here for a reason!

No comments:

Post a Comment