Tuesday, July 3, 2012

New York City Day 24: Essence Magazine

Aside from all us thinking that our journey in New York should be a reality show, we also said that we should be featured on someone's magazine! Our wish...kinda...came true. We all got flashy in preparation for a feature in Essence Magazine. We were able to meet the other interns at Essence; all of which had different styles which was pretty amazing. We took a tour of Essence and every corner I turned, I kept saying to myself, "I could work here, I could work here, I will definitely work here!"

Me & Taraj P. Henson at Essence Magazine lol
I was overjoyed to see EVERY SINGLE THING in that building. Literally, every corner we turned, I was more and more in LOVE! I never thought I'd walk through the doors of Essence Magazine (Theeeeeeee Essence Magazine), I never thought I'd be in that building! It was an overwhelming feeling. Ok, now that I've recuperated, let me tell you the full story. While there at Essence, we were being featured, alongside the Essence interns, in an August edition of "Young Black & Amazing." All we pretty much had to do was find a word that represents who we are. Easy enough right?!

So that was pretty cool to me. I'll never forget it!!! Afterwards, we went aback to City Towers and met with Michael (he prefers to be called that). He was very lively. He was very excited to speak with us and it was very clear early on! I really enjoyed his speech. He gave a lot of good advice on how to stand out as an intern and potential employee.

He urged us to read, read, read, read and read some more. He said that the worst thing to happen in a news room is for someone to talk about a story (no matter how big or small) and to have someone in the room say, "I haven't heard about that." Lol, that is pretty awkward and I can't agree with him more. He also mentioned how important it is to be prepared.

If you're coming in for an interview, it's important to know about the company, recent news and how you can contribute to the success of the company. He said, when you're sitting down in the lobby waiting to be interviewed, don't just sit there and twiddle your thumbs, read the magazines! Look busy! lol!

He said a lot of thing's that were relatable, especially for the young ladies in the group who have already graduated. I just wish I would have heard these things earlier on in my life, no telling who's business I'd practically own by now! Lol

No comments:

Post a Comment